The most anticipated products in 2023 (Apple, Google, Samsung, Oppo, Xiaomi)
After a 2022 full of innovation, but without major upheaval, 2023 could be more refreshing for the new technologies sector. In this article, Numerama summarizes the rumors about the main big brands.
What will we remember from 2022? If the year was full of technological innovations, it’s probably clear that none of them would mark their time. The most notable events of recent months are mostly the takeover of Twitter by Elon Musk and the arrival of new forms of artificial intelligence such as ChatGPT. New products take a back seat for once.
Will 2023 be better? While the threat of an economic crisis suggests that brands will remain wise, many of them still need to enter new categories. Enough to predict a much more favorable balance at the end of the year.
Apple finally the year of the mixed reality headset?
As every year, Apple is the most anticipated brand. That’s normal, Apple has incredible power to dictate what the industry should do. Whether you like Apple or not, this phenomenon is impossible to miss. When a California company does something, its competitors try to do the same. It is systematic.
What awaits Apple in 2023? Here is the list of rumored products that the brand is expected to announce in the coming months. We start with the classics that anyone can predict:
- The iPhone 15possibly with a new Ultra model with a USB-C port and periscopic zoom.
- L’AppleWatch 9 series andApple Watch Ultra Series 2.
- New, more powerful versions iPad.
- updates for iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS.
- newer Macs with more powerful chips starting with (M2 Pro, M2 Ultra, M3, etc.). Macbook Pro 14 and 16 inches, then the first Mac Pro Without Intel.
If all this is classic, we also expect Apple in 2023 in new sectors. Apple’s year could be interesting here:
- After years of rumors, Apple can reveal his Reality helmet dedicated to mixed reality. This could be a big announcement that ushers the industry into a new era.
- The connected home may be in the spotlight with its new versions HomePod including a model with a screen and a webcam for calling.
- For the first time, Apple can release a major product Macbook Air With a 15-inch screen.
Apple’s headset is highly anticipated as it will push the brand to launch a new operating system and pave the way for augmented reality, something Apple has been a strong believer in for several years. If this announcement happens in 2023, it could be the most important announcement of the year.
Samsung, updates or updates?
Samsung is a brand that does many things. Smartphones, tablets, computers, refrigerators, stoves, TVs, sound bars… Koreans are everywhere. Predicting 2023 is quite complicated because Samsung has a habit of releasing hundreds of products every year. Therefore, it is better to be interested in the big trends.
For some time now, Samsung has been criticized for being less innovative. Will the Korean surprise again in 2023? While there are areas where innovation may be limited in 2023 (QD-OLED TVs are already here, and we doubt microLED will be relevant anytime soon), Samsung may surprise us in some categories later in the year:
- At CES in early January, Samsung should talk a lot about the home. In addition to new household appliances, the Matter standard that connects the connected home should also be in the spotlight. Will there be new products suitable for all ecosystems?
- A new season of smartphones is expected to be presented by Samsung in early February. The Galaxy S23, S23+ and S23 Ultra should have minor revisions of its predecessors. One notable change will be Samsung ditching the Exynos chips in favor of the more reliable Qualcomm Snapdragon. They can also innovate in photography with a 200 Mpix sensor.
- During the year, Samsung is expected to continuously release more affordable products. As he usually does.
- We are logically waiting for this summer new foldable smartphones. After the very successful Galaxy Z Fold 4, but very close to the previous models, Samsung has to react. The arrival of Chinese players like Oppo and Vivo could push the Koreans to release new, more sophisticated models. We are waiting for other products like Samsung tablets or folding computers.
- Finally, what about virtual and mixed reality? For the first time, Samsung left this market. According to some rumors, the Korean brand will enter the market mixed reality headset In 2023, so as not to leave Meta and Apple too quiet.
Quest 3 to make meta, mixed reality affordable?
Meta is not doing so well, as evidenced by the layoff of 11,000 employees. Facebook’s parent company also shut down most of its hardware divisions, such as those responsible for Portal screens/speakers. Social networks and the metaverse are at the center of his concerns.
In 2023, there should be a material announcement from Mark Zuckerberg and his teams. After the ultra-popular Quest 2 virtual reality headset (449 euros) and the extremely promising but ultra-expensive Quest Pro mixed reality headset (1799 euros) in the US, Meta should offer a hybrid product between these two objects.
It is the only product that is really expected in the Meta in 2023 Task 3, the successor to Quest 2 with color cameras, so you can see the real world without taking it off (Quest 2 is content with black and white). Meta will certainly make material concessions to lower mixed reality prices. It’s hard to imagine the Quest Pro controllers and eye-tracking system surviving this consumer product.
Oppo is no longer afraid of the high end
Gradually, Oppo is rising. The Chinese brand, known to the general public for its partnership with world-famous events (Roland Garros, Champions League, etc.), has proven several times that it is capable of competing with Samsung and Apple. Launched in early 2022, the Find X5 Pro smartphone is undoubtedly the most compelling of the year.
In 2023, Oppo is expected to further acquire the status of a high-end Chinese brand (somehow replacing the US-held Huawei). Although it knows it won’t sell its 200-300 euro products, Oppo already announced earlier this year that it will launch a rival to Samsung’s foldable Galaxy Z Flip. The Chinese brand, which introduces augmented reality glasses in China, also attracted attention with its smartphone with an opening screen. Will it be released this year?
Google, finally a folding smartphone?
What about Google, whose financial ambitions we do not yet fully understand? The Pixel 7 is great, but the firm still seems far from competing with the top 5 best sellers. The way he announces products months before announcing them is also very surprising.
Here are the products expected at Google in 2023:
- News on the side smart home : The emergence of Matter may prompt Google to update its Nest speakers and introduce new generations of accessories with the Thread standard.
- Some new smartphones : The Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro, and Pixel 7a are logically expected by fall 2023.
- A news see: After the very disappointing Pixel Watch, can Google release a stronger and more durable product?
- Tablet Pixel Tablet : Announced in mid-2022, due for launch in 2023. Until then, we can only hope that Google improves its design to make it truly competitive.
- Finally, after two years of rumors, Google a Pixel Fold folding screen. Its design should take the design of the Galaxy Z Fold, that is, a tablet that can be folded in half.
Xiaomi, the return of low prices?
Xiaomi’s president, Wang Xiang, has resigned at the end of 2022. After a complicated period (Covid played a bad game on Xiaomi), the Chinese brand wants to reinvent itself to gain market share and get back on track. Xiaomi, which is very popular in France, trusts its vice president William Lu, who is in charge of the low-cost Redmi division. Given its established identity, logic would dictate that Xiaomi continue to cut prices and refocus on the entry level.